Thursday, March 02, 2006

Since I'll be doing something else Sunday night...

I really don't have a horse in the Oscar race this year. I felt heaps of personal gratification when Spirited Away won the very first Best Animated Feature award. And naturally, the Best Picture for The Return of the King, which was really an award for the achievement of the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, made my inner geek squee. But this year, while I think by and large there are some good movies up, it isn't a ceremony to get all excited about, with the exception of John Stewart's hosting. And this will be the easiest ceremony to handicap in ages. Herewith, my predictions.

  • Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain

  • Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote

  • Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line

  • Best Supporting Actor: George Clooney for Syriana

  • Best Supporting Actress: Tossup — either Amy Adams for Junebug or Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener. I'm leaning toward Weisz.

  • Best Director: Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain

  • Best Animated Feature: Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit

  • There. Three years ago, when my then-roommate was working on The Alamo (interesting to recall how that notorious megaflop was at the time really expected to represent at the Oscars), the crew had an Oscar pool and I helped her on her entries. We won it and split $180 between us! Wish that were happening now; I feel more confident now than I did then. And I'm not even all that excited about it.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Dude, I liked Crash, but seriously, Brokeback should have won.